Bethany United Church of Christ
Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Embracing The Community

No Matter

Who You Are,

Or WhereYou Are

On Life's Journey ....

YOU ARE

WELCOME

HERE !!

Our History

  
Image goes here.
Bethany Reformed - Circa 1945
 

Early worship services that led to the beginning of Bethany Church were held in 1902 in a log school building approximately one mile north from the church’s current location. Leaders established affiliation with the Reformed Church (which would become the United Church of Christ in 1957). Services were moved to a pine grove where worshipers sat on slab benches unprotected by shelter. Oil lanterns were hung in trees to provide light for night services. A brush arbor existed, but it was just large enough to protect the minister.

By 1906, land was purchased and a white frame building, shown in the photo above, was completed. Three years later, church petitioners asked the North Carolina Classis of the Reformed Church to become an organized, functioning congregation. In 1909, there were 15 charter members.

Early church history indicates the service of capable supply pastors for Sunday worship. At times, services were held on Sunday afternoons and often on a bi-weekly basis. During the summer of 1945 a two church "charge" composed of Bethany and Smyrna churches was created, and the first full-time pastor was called to serve both congregations.
 
In 1952 construction of a new brick church building was begun. The need for an educational wing to meet the needs of the congregation and the surrounding community was realized and added to the church in 1975.
 
With increased membership and the desire to become an independent, self-supporting congregation, Bethany members voted to terminate the Smyrna-Bethany Charge in 1987. 
 
Image goes here.
Rev. Colleen Samson and
Rev. Dr. John Thomas, Minister & President United Church of Christ
(at that time) officiated
at the Centennial Celebraton - May 2009
We celebrated our 100th anniversary as an organized, recognized congregation in 2009.
 
 
 
From humble beginnings more than 100 years ago,
 
the people of Bethany see ourselves

embracing our community

and moving forward to serve. 

 
                  

Today we are

                            Bethany United Church of Christ.